Group Therapy and Addiction Recovery
The American Group Psychotherapy Association describes group therapy as, “A special form of therapy in which a small number of people meet together under the guidance of a professionally trained therapist to help themselves and one another.” Group therapy has been utilized as part of substance abuse treatment programs (and in a variety of other settings) for close to 50 years. As human beings we are accustomed to group environments – we are not solitary creatures. We grow and develop in a family, we receive a formal education among a group of our peers and we are involved in numerous other organized activities – from extracurricular sports to working in an office setting. Group therapy is similar. Men and women who are undergoing similar struggles come together to discuss substance abuse and recovery, offer one another peer support and encouragement and ultimately understand their own situation on a more thorough level.
At CuraSouth we offer group therapy sessions that take place on a daily basis and explore a wide range of recovery-related topics. While none of our group therapy sessions are mandatory we do encourage clients to take advantage of as many groups and workshops as they can.
The topics covered in group therapy sessions include:
- A thorough introduction to and education on the 12 steps method of recovery.
- The development of relapse prevention techniques and the exploration of personal relapse triggers.
- An education on the Disease Model of Addiction.
- The development of certain life skills that are necessary to maintain sobriety.
- The physical, psychological and emotional consequences of active addiction.
- The role of the family in long-term addiction recovery.
- The importance of continuing on with the next appropriate level of clinical care, which is typically residential addiction treatment.
At CuraSouth the group therapy sessions we offer focus on a range of proven therapeutic techniques, including:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Contingency Management Therapy
Our medical detox program is rooted in therapeutic intervention. In addition to providing clients with the opportunity to participate in daily group therapy sessions, we offer individual therapy (that takes place at least once a week) and family therapy whenever possible.